Superior National Forest Ice Update - May 8, 2013
From FS pilots: They flew a west patrol yesterday from Jackfish west and south to Birch and Vermilion Lakes.
- Everything was still frozen. Many lakes were still frozen right to the shoreline.
- Fall Lake had the most open water around the edges but was still 80% ice covered.
- Birch, Vermilion, Burntside, western Basswood including Pipestone and Jackfish Bays, S. Farm, and White Iron were frozen.
- There was a little open water near the bridge on the northern end of White Iron and a little open water on the southeast end.
- Rivers are running hard but the lakes are not open.
- Some people are venturing out over the ice (very dangerous!) only to find themselves confronting more ice.
- A few smaller lakes are very black and may open with rain or wind.
- Sawbill Lake had 23 inches of ice on it yesterday.