Current Fire Activity:
· Wooden Leg Fire: T64 R9 Section 13: -91 25.43, 48 01.42, BWCAW: Approximately ¼ acres. The Wooden Leg Fire (located between Moose and Snowbank Lake) was knocked back hard with CL215 water dropping aircraft but continues to show activity. Because it is located near blowdown with a heavy balsam regrowth, it is unsafe to put fire crews on the ground. Due to these circumstances, a decision was made to close Ensign Lake and nearby lakes including Vera, Trident, Frog, Splash, Ashigan, Missionary, and all lakes within the Spider Primitive Management Area (Neglige, etc.) The Snowbank Hiking Trail from Boot Lake west to the Trailhead is also being closed. The portage from Boot to Ensign will be closed. Sucker Lake will have a few campsites closed near the Splash portage. Public Safety crews are sweeping the area today and will be posting portages leading to that area. The above map reflects the closure area.
· Cummings Lake Fire: T64 R14 Section 28 on a peninsula separating the west end of Cummings Lake from the northeast side of Otter Lake. 50 Acres. 60% contained.
- Saturday Bay Fire, Crooked Lake: T6 R12 Section 14 on the Kawishiwi District of the BWCAW ¼ acres
- Thunder Fire: T66 R 12 Section 34: -91 50.62, 48 9.51, BWCAW ¼ acres,
- Spring Creek Fire: T65 R12 Section 7 BWCAW ¼ acres
- Beartrap Fire: T65 R12 Section 4: -91 51.78, 48 8.99, BWCAW, ¼ acres
- Hawk’s Nest Fire: T64 R11 Section 30: -91 46.95, 47 59.93, Superior National Forest, ¼ acres
Suppression action is being taken on all of the fires listed above.
Fort Frances #53, the Canadian Fire on Norway Point of Basswood Lake, was approximately 40 acres. Fire continues creeping to the north, deeper into Canada, clearing up ground debris and brush with only occasional tree torching, smoke throughout, no major activity.